Scourie Lodge B&B and Gardens
Scourie Lodge overlooks Scourie Bay on the North West coast of Scotland. This historic house and its beautiful walled garden provide a spacious and peaceful place to stay. Many ‘one-night only’ guests wish they had booked for two or more nights Please consider staying longer and enjoying Scourie Lodge and the local area.
We are making Scourie Lodge as eco-friendly as possible:
Organic gardens, organic / local / free range / high quality produce a new biomass boiler for all heating and hot water, Tesla destination electric car charger, all-renewable electricity high-quality bamboo bed linen and towels waste recycling and energy efﬁcient appliances.
Accommodation and bookings:
There are 2 double en-suite bedrooms and 2 twin en-suite bedrooms all with TV, wiﬁ, tea and coffee making facilities £80 single, £110 shared occupancy.
A brief history of Scourie Lodge The Duke of Sutherland built Scourie Lodge in 1835 for his new bride, the Duchess. However, she preferred to live in their main residence, Dunrobin Castle. Consequently, in 1845, the Duke allowed Mr Evander MacIver to reside at the Lodge. MacIver was a Factor to the Duke from 1845 until 1895. During the latter part of that time, he was also working for the Duke of Westminster. During MacIver’s residence at Scourie Lodge, Prime Minister Gladstone visited several times for holidays.
For many years after MacIver’s death, the Lodge was used for guests of the Duke of Sutherland. Amongst the more notable visitors were Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (the late Queen Elisabeth, the Queen Mother) and the famous author J. M. Barrie. The Lodge was sold by the Duke in the 1940’s, became a private residence, and was later used brieﬂy as a hotel.
During the 1970s, a Swiss gentleman named Mr Halfner bought the Lodge. He spent a small fortune re-designing and modernising its interior to that which exists today. It has been run as a successful Bed and Breakfast since 1993, and Angus and Elisabeth took it on in October 2016.
It is believed that the walled garden was built in 1835 at the same time as the house to grow vegetables and fruit for the residents of the Lodge and their servants. However, we know that it was also an ornamental garden from an early date. In 1851, seeds from a New Zealand Cabbage Palm Tree (Cordyline australis) were sent in a letter to one of the Scourie gardeners from a relative who lived in New Zealand. They took more than six months to reach Scotland by boat. The seeds were planted, and the resulting trees can still be seen in the garden today. These trees, nearly 150 years old, are amongst the most northerly of their kind in the world.
In the late 1970s the gardens were completely re-designed, retaining, of course, the famous Cabbage Trees. Angus and Elisabeth are continuing their development through organic husbandry and the principles of Permaculture design.
Elisabeth and Angus look forward to welcoming you – they are open all year and welcome pets.